I have received a few panicked e-mails recently about cellulite. Since this dimply stuff is rather ubiquitous I thought I should answer the many questions about cellulite in one big post.
- From a purely medical standpoint cellulite doesn't exist; it is nothing more than fat. The word cellulite is French and was first used in medical literature around 150 years ago.
- Cellulite is more prominent in women than in men due to the structural differences of stored fat between the sexes. The connective tissues that create these storage units in men works on diagonals, where as we lucky ladies store our fat in a large vertical honeycomb like structure. This structural form enhances the appearance of the dimples.
- Here's the bad news – there is no way to get rid of cellulite. None of those creams, lotions or rubs will get rid of the dimples caused by cellulite. Topical creams cannot penetrate the three layers of skin to eliminate the fat.
To see what you can do about cellulite read more.
- According to the fitness experts at the American Council of Exercise, you can reduce the appearance of cellulite. You need to decrease overall body fat by doing cardio along with two to three strength training sessions a week. Can you say lunges and squats? Those are the exercises that bad a** trainer Jillian Michaels recommends for reducing the appearance of cellulite.
- The majority of women have cellulite. I have read that 80 percent of women have cellulite. I have even seen figures as high as 95 percent of women have cellulite. So if you have cellulite, just knowing that you are not alone will hopefully make you feel better.