Ever since she starred in Chicago, I've thought Queen Latifah has been looking much healthier than her earlier years. No, she is definitely not conforming to Hollywood's pressures to be skinny, but she does her part to be healthy.
If, like Ms. Latifah, you're embarking on fitness walking for exercise, use these tips to get the most out of your walk:
- Do: Look ahead.
Don't: Look at the ground.
- Do: Keep your posture straight, shoulders relaxed.
Don't: Hunch over your shoulders.
- Do: Allow hips to swivel.
Don't: Use your hips to propel you forward. Focus on using your legs (rolling through the heel and pushing off with toes).
- Do: Walk in a straight line.
Don't: Elongate your steps
- Do: Make a fist and keep wrists straight. Keep arms close to your side and swing in sync with your leg movements.
Don't: Move your arms too erratically.
- Do: Tighten your abs.
Don't: Carry hand weights or place weights on your ankles.
- Do: Go fast!
Don't: Treat it as a leisurely stroll.
- Do: Wear proper walking shoes.
Don't: Wear flip flops (sorry Queenie).