Summer is here and man is it hot out! The heat can dehydrate your body and drain your energy. This combined with feeling uncomfortably sticky and sweaty can make you want to skip the workout and head for your air-conditioned living room.
There are plenty of things you can do to work your body without overheating. Here are some ideas:
- Swim! If you hit the pool for 30 minutes, you can burn up to 270 calories.
- Take up a water sport like kayaking or water skiing. It works your upper body and if you get hot, you can just jump in.
- Take a bike ride. When the wind's blowing through your hair and over your body, it feels cooler than if you were going for a run.
- Don't do as much. If you are used to playing tennis for an hour, cut it down to 30 minutes or less.
- Workout in an air-conditioned gym.
- Keep ice water close by while you work out and drink as often as you feel you need to. If you are doing high intensity cardio, try to sip small amounts - drinking too much could give you a bellyache.
- Walk the mall. That's right. It's not hot in there so you can walk back and forth staying cool and totally entertained (don't you just love people watching and window shopping?).