HEALTH GUIDE REFERENCE FROM A.D.A.M
Treats prostate cancer.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to estradiol or nitrogen mustard or if you have problems with blood clots.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to. You may need to take this medicine for up to 90 days before your doctor decides if it is helping you.
- It is best to take this medicine on an empty stomach. Swallow the capsule with water.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in the refrigerator, but do not freeze. Keep all medicine out of the reach of children
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not eat or drink any milk products or take calcium supplements or antacids that contain calcium at the same time you take estramustine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, epilepsy, migraines, kidney disease, liver disease, Paget's disease, or a history of problems with blood clots or stroke.
- This medicine can cause birth defects if it is used by the father when his sexual partner becomes pregnant. Use two forms of birth control to avoid pregnancy while you are using this medicine and for at least 6 months after your treatment ends. If a pregnancy occurs while you are using this medicine, tell your doctor right away.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Pain, redness, warmth, swelling in the leg (calf)
- Sudden or severe chest pain, trouble breathing
- Sudden or severe headache, confusion, vision problems
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Breast tenderness or enlargement
- Nausea, diarrhea, stomach upset
- Swelling of the legs, feet, or hands
- Trouble having sex
Source Doc: 45_1066