HEALTH GUIDE REFERENCE FROM A.D.A.M
Increases the amount of vitamin D in your body. Also treats problems caused by not having enough calcium in the body (such as rickets). Ergocalciferol is a form of vitamin D.
Drisdol, Vitamin D, Calciferol
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to vitamin D.
How to Use This Medicine
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule, Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Use the dropper that comes with the oral liquid to measure your dose. This medicine may either be mixed with foods such as cereal and fruit juice or dropped into the mouth.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature in the original container, away from heat, direct light, and moisture. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid antacids that contain magnesium (such as Maalox® and Mylanta®) while using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using cholestyramine (Questran®) or digoxin (Lanoxin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all health problems that you have.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Weakness, headache, extreme tiredness
- Severe stomach pain
- Bone pain
- Cloudy urine
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea or constipation
Source Doc: 45_0350