Last week your Get Fit For 2010 challenge was to write a blog post stating your health goals for the upcoming year. Now it's time to get physical. This week's challenge: assess your fitness level with the three tests listed below and write a blog post in the Get Fit For 2010 community group of your results. This way you can track your progress as you work to meet your health goals. By meeting the challenge, you will be automatically entered for a chance to win the weekly prize — a $100 Nike gift card.
Here are your three tests:
- Resting Heart Rate:
- Take your pulse first thing in the morning, by placing two fingers on your wrist, or placing your index and third fingers on your neck to the side of your windpipe.
- Count the number of beats you feel in 60 seconds (or the number you feel for 15 seconds then multiply that number by four). When counting, do count the first beat as zero.
- The number of beats you count in 60 seconds is your resting heart rate.
Learn the other fitness tests when you read more.
- Core Strength:
- Start by lying on your stomach on the floor and place your elbows directly underneath your shoulders with your forearms on the floor making parallel lines.
- Curl your toes under and press up into an elbow plank and start timing yourself.
- Hold the plank for as long as you can.
- Quad Strength and Endurance:
- Place your back against the wall, and walk your feet out and away from the wall about three feet
- Bend your knees, allowing your back to slide down the wall.
- Bend both your hips and knees to 90 degrees and adjust your feet as needed. Imagine you are sitting in an invisible chair.
- Start your stopwatch now and see how long you can hold the position.
Learn what your results mean here.
At the end of three months, we will pick a grand prize winner at random from all of the entries in all of the weekly challenges. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win the grand prize: a $1,000 gift card from Nike; a year of personalized nutrition plans by nutritionist Alexa Fishback, plus a copy of her book; a year membership to 24 Hour Fitness for you and a friend; and two Bodybuggs.
You have until 11:59 p.m. PST on Sunday, Jan. 24, to complete this second challenge. Ready. Set. Test yourself!
Looking for a little extra credit? Check this out: Get Over the Hump Day: Measured Approach. It's a little more motivation and another chance to enter to win our weekly prize.