It's that time of year again, where we "fall back," and turn our clocks back one hour. I love gaining an extra hour this one time of the year, so make the most of it. Don't just go through your day as usual, because you'll never even realize you received that extra 60 minutes.
Since most people complain that they don't have time to exercise, my advice is to get up in the morning when you normally do, and spend your freebie hour working out. It's a great habit to get into, especially if you love exercising outdoors. Mornings will be brighter, so it's safer to exercise before work, since it'll most likely be dark by the time you get home. Here are some ways to sweat it out for an hour:
- Call a friend and go on a long, brisk walk. You'll burn 236 calories.
- Pick up the pace and go on a relaxing run. An hour burns 473 calories.
- Hit a mountain trail. An hour-long hike burns 355 calories.
- Hop on your bike and tour a new spot in your neighborhood. After an hour, you'll have burned 473 calories.
- Do a strength-training session and burn 177 calories after an hour.
- Take a heart-pumping cardio class at your gym. You'll burn an astounding 414 calories.
Don't forget to change your clocks before you go to bed tonight. Daylight saving time officially ends at 2 a.m., Sunday, Nov. 1. Enjoy your hour!