Fueling up after a tough workout is essential if you want to stay energized and help your muscles repair and rebuild. Protein and carbs is the magic combo, and here's a snack that's quick to grab and offers 2.3 grams of protein and four grams of carbs per sweet and nutty 52-calorie bite.
You can enjoy three bites for 156 calories, almost seven grams of protein, and 12 grams of carbs. You're sure to love the soft texture with the satisfying crispy crunch.
These DIY chunks of energy are also a cinch to whip up — all you need are a food processor and some wholesome vegan ingredients, and you'll have a sugar-free, gluten-free treat that makes 20 three-bite servings for under $10.
1 cup almond butter
1 1/2 to 2 servings vanilla protein powder (about 3 to 4 ounces)
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup roasted salted cashews
1/2 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup dried cherries (save a handful for the top)
1 cup rice cereal
- Place almond butter, dates, and protein powder in a food processor, and mix until smooth.
- Add oats, and mix until smooth.
- Throw in cashews, sunflower seeds, and dried cherries (set aside a handful), and pulse until chopped and chunky.
- Add in cereal, and mix until a thick dough forms.
- Press mixture into an 8-by-11-inch pan. Chop cherries and sprinkle on top, and press firmly.
- Place the pan in the fridge to set for at least an hour.
- Remove from the fridge, and cut into 54 pieces.
- Store uneaten chunks in an airtight container in the fridge.
Source: Calorie Count
- 60 pieces
- Cook Time
- 1 hour 20 mins
- Calories per serving