The following post was written by New York-based trainer David Kirsch.
I don’t believe in excuses, as any of my clients will tell you. Believe me, I’ve heard my share over the years. The classic New York reasons for skipping a workout session include rush-hour traffic, gym clothes forgotten, early morning conference calls or last minute business trips, just to name a few.
Those who know me and/or have trained with me know that I always have an answer to these often-used excuses. The response is: "And your point is?"
No (or few) excuses are actually valid. You can get your sweat on anywhere, just as I do. No excuses. Your body is an amazing tool. Push-ups, knee bends, crunches, lunges, shadow boxing, jumping jacks — all can be done with no equipment at all and assuming you have privacy, wearing anything your heart desires.
That said, here are 10 things on my list for creating your own "Wellness Zone" at home or at the office:
- Shoes — cross trainers that offer a good deal of arch and lateral support.
- Workout wear — comfortable and loose fitting, but revealing enough that you can see what you are working on.
- Motivational music.
- Water to stay hydrated.
- Exercise mat for stretching, floor work and abdominal exercises.
- Stability ball and medicine ball — ideal for abdominal and leg work.
- Resistance tubing for stretching and strength training.
- Dumbbells or even water bottles or milk jugs — start with 2-5 pounds.
- Access to a mirror to check your form every once in a while.
Think you don’t have time for a workout? That’s not a good excuse either! Check out my blog for tips on finding time for fitness.
For more tips, recipes, and workouts, be sure to check out all of David's posts here on FitSugar. Be sure to share images from your fitness life in our Get Fit For 2011 group for a chance to win a $100 Nike gift card.
Flickr User grovesa16