HEALTH GUIDE REFERENCE FROM A.D.A.M
Treats pain and stiffness of muscle spasms. This medicine is a muscle relaxer.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to carisoprodol, meprobamate (Miltown®), or tybamate (Tybatran®).
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- You may take your medicine with food or milk to avoid stomach upset.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose of this medicine and remember within an hour or so of the missed dose, take it right away.
- If you do not remember until later, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
- You should not use two doses at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Keep your tablets at room temperature in a tightly closed container away from heat, light, and moisture.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking drugs that can make you sleepy such as other muscle relaxants, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, antidepressants, barbiturates (Seconal®, Nembutal®), or narcotic pain killers.
- Before taking carisoprodol, tell your doctor if you are taking or have taken within the past 2 weeks an MAO inhibitor, such as Marplan®, Parnate®, or Nardil®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Before taking carisoprodol, tell your doctor if you have ever had liver or kidney disease or porphyria.
- Carisoprodol can cause drowsiness or blurred vision. Be careful when driving a car or using machinery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Trouble breathing
- Severe weakness
- Changes in vision
- Skin rash
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Trouble sleeping
Source Doc: 45_0118