Unfortunately when we start a diet, most of us read a lot into how much weight it is going to help us lose but forget to think about the potential benefits/detriments it could have on our hearts.
A new study published has revealed the heart health of popular diet plans. The highest possible score is 70 and diets that emphasize a variety of fruits and vegetables scored better than those with a heavy protein focus.
Here are the results:
- Ornish, 64.6
- Weight Watchers high-carbohydrate, 57.4
- New Glucose Revolution, 57.2
- South Beach Phase 2, 50.7
- Zone, 49.8
- MyPyramid, 48.7
- Weight Watchers high protein, 47.3
- Atkins 100-g carbohydrate, 46
- South Beach Phase 3, 45.6
- Atkins 45-g carbohydrate, 42.3
Is anyone else shocked that the USDA's My Pyramid plan is not even in the top three? Nonetheless, anyone with a personal or family history of heart disease should definitely consider the results of this study as a guide when choosing a diet plan.