Almond and Coconut Macaroons For Passover
2/3 cup sugar
2 large egg whites
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup whole almonds
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (to be completely kosher for Passover, replace with 1 teaspoon lemon zest)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper. If you don't have those, spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar and egg whites in a large bowl.
- Chop the almonds in a food processor.
- Add the almonds, shredded coconut, and vanilla (or lemon zest) to the egg whites and sugar mixture.
- Form dough into 16 two-tablespoon mounds, and drop each onto sheet, two inches apart.
- Bake macaroons until golden-brown on bottoms and edges, about 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets for five minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool.
Makes 16 cookies.