HEALTH GUIDE REFERENCE FROM A.D.A.M
Allantoin, Pramoxine (pra-MOX-een)
Treats cold sores and severely dry or chapped lips.
Neosporin Lip Treatment
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to allantoin or pramoxine.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use it on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Apply this medicine 3 to 4 times each day.
- To treat dry or chapped lips, apply enough medicine to cover your lips completely.
- To treat a cold sore, apply this medicine as soon as you notice the first signs of tingling or blistering. Treat a cold sore as early as possible for the best results.
- You may apply lipstick or other cosmetics after applying this medicine to your lips.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Do not use this medicine on a child under 2 years of age unless your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine does not contain an antibiotic. It is made only for use on the lips to treat cold sores or chapped lips. Do not use this medicine to treat minor cuts or scrapes.
- This medicine will not kill the virus that causes cold sores (also known as herpes simplex). It will relieve the tingling, burning, and pain of a cold sore.
- Until your cold sore heals completely, you can pass the herpes virus to someone else through skin-to-skin contact. Do not allow your lips to come into contact with the skin of another person while you have a cold sore.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- No improvement in your condition after using this medicine for 7 days.
- Worsened symptoms.
Source Doc: 45_5471