It may be early February, but now is the time to start thinking about creating bikini-worthy abs. On second thought, strong abs are great for any season and this exercise is great for your abs so the Russian twist may just be for you. This ab exercise targets your obliques, but your deep abs and your back muscles should be working together to support your spine while your ribcage rotates around your center.
Learn the details on the Russian twist when you read more.
- Sit on the ground with your knees bent and your heels about two feet from your bum.
- Lean slightly back without rounding your spine at all. It is really important, and difficult, to keep your back straight, but don't let it round.
- Place your arms straight out in front of you with your hands one on top of the other. Your hands should be level with the bottom of your ribcage.
- Pull your navel to your spine and twist slowly to the left. The movement is not large and comes from the ribs rotating, not from your arms swinging. Inhale through center and rotate to the right. This completes one set.
- Do three sets of 12 reps each.
To make this exercise more challenging hold a medicine ball or a dumbbell in your hands with your elbows slightly bent. You can also make the move more advanced by lifting your feet three or four inches off the floor. Conversely, if you have a compromised or injured low back, this exercises is not recommended for you. Try the bicycle crunch instead.