The Oscars are on Sunday, where Anne Hathaway is a favorite to win best supporting actress for her work in Les Misérables. To play the part of dying prostitute Fantine, Anne went on a starvation diet, losing a total of 25 pounds. Anne certainly isn't the first — and won't be the last — actress to lose weight for a movie. Keep reading to see which Hollywood starlets have taken extreme measures to slim down for a movie role.
The blustery cold weather and snowy landscape may not deter you from sticking to your New Year's resolutions, but it's important to take the right precautions to minimize the risk of getting sick. Battling an illness takes time and energy that could be spent doing other things, not to mention the possibility of it derailing your fitness goals. Whether you exercise indoors or brave the outdoor temps, don't forget to prepare with these useful tips for staying healthy.
- Clean equipment thoroughly: Fellow gym-goers are supposed to wipe down equipment after they're done, but just as a precaution, sanitize it before you use it. Or better yet, bring your own gear such as yoga mats, blocks, resistance bands, and even dumbbells to decrease your chances of coming in contact with other people's germs.
- Use a towel for your sweat: Gyms are festering with germs in the Winter, and since touching your face is one surefire way to get sick, use a towel instead of your hands to wipe your perspiration. Then after your workout, be sure to wash up.
- Don't leave the gym in wet clothes: Your sweaty workout wear will get chilly in the cold Winter air, which can weaken your immune system and leave you susceptible to any germs floating around, so change out of your exercise clothes before you leave the gym.
- Decrease your workout's intensity if you have a cold: If you're sick and have above-the-neck symptoms — meaning a runny nose or sore throat but no hacking coughs, chest congestion, swollen lymph nodes, or muscle pain — then you can still exercise, but start at half your normal intensity, and gradually increase as you feel up to it.
- Wear the right gear: Eye-searing UV rays, slippery roads, and chilly wet clothes are all reasons to dress the part for your Winter workout by wearing sunglasses, sunblock, waterproof sneaks with rugged soles, and wicking wear.
- Warm up indoors: Not loosening up those muscles and getting your blood flowing can lead to muscle strain, which makes you more susceptible to injury during your workout. Spend a few minutes warming up indoors (five to 10 minutes of cardio should do the trick) so you can prevent injury and soreness.
There’s nothing like the warm, fuzzy feeling you get when passing out gifts to the ones you love. Except maybe the incredible, thrilling rush that comes from scoring those gifts during the most invigorating shopping season of all!
This year, our friends at T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods are giving you more reasons than ever to celebrate your holiday shopping victories — by creating a series of fun and inspiring gifting “missions” that you can tackle weekly for a new chance to win!
Readers as well as our favorite lifestyle bloggers will be invited to participate in five missions across T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, and HomeGoods stores, then simply share their experience via Twitter using the hashtag #TheGifter. Each week, one winner will be chosen to receive a $500 gift card! You can also visit #TheGifter holiday gifting hub to explore an ever-evolving gallery of amazing gifts at amazing values — check back often for fresh inspiration and fun ideas.
Make this holiday shopping season your most triumphant yet! The missions are already under way, so start making your gifting list, and click here for more details.
It's lunchtime. You head to the local cafe to grab a bite to eat. When you order a sandwich, you're faced with this: sliced bread, bun, roll, pita, or wrap? So many choices. Learn how the breads compare nutritionally so you can make an informed decision.
|Type of Bread||Calories||Total Fat (g)||Sodium (mg)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Sugars (g)||Protein (g)|
|2 slices white bread||220||2||380||44||4||4||8|
|2 slices wheat bread||220||2||340||38||6||4||10|
|2 slices dark rye bread||320||0||640||68||4||0||12|
|2 slices marble rye bread||320||0||600||68||4||0||12|
|Whole wheat sandwich thin||100||1.5||170||19||5||3||6|
|Wheat dinner roll||76||1.8||95||12.9||1.1||0.5||2.4|
|Sundried tomato wrap (10" diameter)||210||4.5||480||36||2||3||5|
See the calorie counts for pita bread and bagels after the break.
Dancing requires coordination, balance, and endurance — all the makings of a strong athlete. For some cross training with a beat, we suggest adding a little hip-hop to your fitness routine. The Jabbawockeez schooled us in a few moves, and we want to share them with you. Watch the video as they break down the routine and teach you the moves, step by step. Then dance the whole routine at the end. Press play to get the dance party started. And if you want dance tips, find more info on the Jabbawockeez DVD series here.
This Sunday, celebrate the Academy Awards and a year of good movies with a healthy cocktail — or two! Giving classic cocktails a healthy twist with the addition of antioxidant-rich fruit or a metabolism-boosting spice, you can make a great drink for an Oscar party healthier without sacrificing taste. From margaritas to Champagne, shake, stir, and pop these seven drinks during the award show in a glamorous yet diet-friendly way.
Whether you click into skis, hop on a bike, or lace up your sneaks, a strong yet flexible lower body will allow you to move with control and speed. This eight-posture lower body yoga sequence focuses on strengthening the core, quads, and glutes, while opening the hamstrings and hips, to make your body more powerful whatever your activity.
If you're planning on indulging while you catch the glam at this Sunday's Oscars, then you can mitigate the effects of couch time with a little activity. Here are three workouts you can do before you settle down for TV viewing Sunday evening.
At home: Prepping for a party and don't have time to hit the gym? Do a heart-pumping workout without leaving the comfort of your home. These indoor equipment-free cardio workout ideas can be done in almost any space.
Detox: Make a preemptive strike with this detoxifying Pilates and yoga workout, which helps aid digestion and reenergizes your body.
Get outside: If you have the time and it's a nice day, opt for an outdoor workout. The Oscars can last for a few hours, especially if you tune in to catch all the red-carpet style. Get some fresh air before you hole up by taking a morning walk, hike, or run. Just make sure you bundle up smartly if it's cold where you live: here are tips on what to wear, how warm up, and more if you're exercising outside in the Winter.
Low-carb doesn't mean piling up your plate with nothing but protein. In fact, nutritious, delicious vegetables are always a cornerstone of any healthy low-carb diet. If you're trying to stay away from starchy, high-carb sides like potatoes and white rice, then try these veggie-heavy low-carb sides that'll satisfy!