If you're like me and always looking for new ways to get active this Spring, think about doing it as a family. Getting moving this Spring does not mean more time in the gym, in fact, it's quite the opposite. Children are like sponges and if they see you valuing TV time over times when you're physically active, they could adopt the same values. So here's a few ideas for getting the whole family moving:
- If your child can still ride in a stroller, go for a lot of nice long walks. Or, invest in a jogging stroller, so you can jog while pushing.
- If your child is able to bike or scooter, have them ride while you jog alongside. You'll both be getting great exercise and enjoying the Spring weather.
- Plan regular after-dinner family walks. My sister and her family go on a walk almost every night and then they have dessert if anyone is still craving it.
- Utilize the weekends to fly kites, ride bikes, play kickball or softball, toss around a frisbee, play fetch with the dog — basically anything that gets all of you out of the house and moving around.
- Find another family to plan physical outings with. When I was growing up, my family always played putt-putt golf one Saturday a month with another family during the Spring and Summer. Not only did it get us off the couch, but we got to engage in a little friendly competition, which I still love to this day.
What ways do you find to get active with your family? I know I am always looking for suggestions, so I'd love to hear yours.