Taking calcium supplements might not help maintain bone density in the areas where frequent fractures occur (the head of the thigh bone or the vertebrae). Bummer. I just found this out and wanted to share with you 5 things that do affect your bone density.
- Drinking more than three colas per week can decrease bone density.
- Drinking more than one alcoholic drink a day also affects bone density negatively.
- Gender - women are 4 times as likely as men to lose bone density and develop osteoporosis. Can't change that one, but good to be informed about your bones.
- Age - around the mid 30s we begin to lose bone strength. You build bones until about 20 years of age and generally maintain that density for 15 years or so.
- Weight training!!! Lifting weights helps to strengthen bones as well as muscles. Another reason to add strength training into your routine.