So you've been to the gym every other day for the past 3 months and are feeling great. However you're not losing weight! Why?
Here are three potential culprits:
- You're eating too many calories. Remember you need to eat, keep a food diary and wear a heart rate monitor to really get on top of your daily calories in/calories out. Better yet? Splurge on a bodybugg, which does it all for you.
- You're eating too much junk food. A lot of us think that because we are busting our butts at the gym we can eat whatever we darn well please. Sure, if you want to continue busting your butt without seeing any results. As good as those McDonald's fries may be, fruits and veggies are your friend.
- You're not getting the best cardio workout you could be getting. Sure you go to the gym and hit the treadmill for 30 mins four times a week, that is great and better than nothing. Problem is you need to incorporate variety into your routine. Add intervals. Take a class here and there. Do the elliptical instead of the treadmill. Swim. Whatever you choose, your weight loss goals will benefit from it.
- You're walking too slow. If your goal is to lose weight, then walk to lose weight, not to leisurely stroll down the street. This is called fitness walking and it's just a little bit faster and a little bit more of a planned workout than strolling through the mall.
- You're not strength training. You need to add strength training to increase lean muscle mass, which burns more calories. An added benefit of strength training? This is what helps you get that toned look you've been wanting for so long.