I've noticed that days are slowly becoming shorter, but instead of mourning the passing of another Summer, I am eating all the wonderful fruits the season has to offer.On the top of my list today are cherries, and here are five reasons you should pick some up today.
- Bing and Ranier cherries are truly nature's candy. Sweet and delicious, these two types of cherries are perfect for snacking and can satisfy a sweet tooth without racking up a huge caloric gain. One cup contains only 87 calories.
- One cup of cherries also provide three grams of fiber.
There are three more reasons to love cherries, so keep reading.
- Tart cherry juice has been found to relieve post-workout pain in a handful of small studies. If you like sour beverages, you should try cherry juice as your recovery drink, although some folks in the medical community believe the results of the studies have been overhyped.
- Cherries are high in flavanoids, anitoxidants found to improve heart health by reducing inflammation associated with atherosclerosis — hardening of the arteries — and reduce certain risk factors for heart disease.
- Preliminary studies have found that cherries boost immunity and might help fight off the flu. Since swine flu seems to work overtime outside of traditional flu season, I would start snacking.
Tell me, do you love cherries?