Some foods are rough on your digestive system creating serious discomfort and gas. Not fun at all. You may have your own culprits, but MSN.com has come up with the top ten foods that are hard to digest:
- Ice Cream: Can cause stomach trouble when eaten in large amounts because it’s essentially all fat, and fat lingers in the stomach longer than other foods before getting digested. Plus it's a sure fire way to flare up Lactose Intolerance.
- Citrus Drinks: Can irritate the esophagus, stimulating the sensory nerves to feel more inflamed; may feel like acid reflux, but in reality is just irritation.
- Mashed Potatoes: Can really do a doozy on anyone suffering with Lactose Intolerance as they are usually loaded with milk and/or cream.
- Spicy Foods: Can irritate the lining of the esophagus on the way down giving an unpleasant heartburn-like feeling after you eat.
- Beans: Can cause gas and bloating because if you don’t routinely eat beans, you might not have enough of the enzyme needed to comfortably digest them.
- Chocolate (brownies): Can cause the lower esophageal sphincter to relax, allowing stomach acid to come back up.
- Raw Onions: Can really distress the stomach, not to mention the taste buds, if eaten raw.
- Fried Foods (chicken nuggets): Fried foods inevitably are greasy and high in fat, both of which spell trouble for the stomach.
- Broccoli and Cabbage: Can cause major gas buildup in the gut due to their fiber- and nutrient-rich qualities.
- Sugar-Free Gum: Can cause an uncomfortable buildup of gas in your gut due to Sorbitol, the ingredient found in many sugar-free gums.
There are nine more so read more
To read the full article, visit MSN.com.